I have been back for a week today, and I just had no idea where to start these posts, what I wanted to share, or how to even go about writing about this trip and putting it all in to words. I also felt like I had NO time to sit down as I pretty much jumped right back in to working the day after I got home, HELLLLO Jet Lag. Brutal.
[caption id="attachment_1254" align="alignleft" width="225"] Trafalgar Square[/caption]
How about we start with London?
Matthias and I flew out (with Air Canada) at 7:20pm, so our night was a Red-Eye-Esque flight. We were served an in-flight meal and a "breakfast." I didn't know that you had to call Air Canada to request a Vegetarian meal before hand so we were served with the "Chicken" Option. I wasn't a huge fan of the chicken because it was rubbery from the microwave, so I picked around it and ate everything else, which was surprisingly delicious.
We landed at 11:20am London Time which was 3:20am Red Deer Time. We couldn't check in to our hotel until 3pm (which sucked) so we hung around and ate a snack whilst getting VERY tired. After check in, we pushed our 2 twin beds together (the worst of our sleeping arrangements) and slept. We woke up at about 8 and headed out to get some Whole Foods Hot Bar, of course.
After that we tried to sleep again but the jet lag kicked in and we were wide away at 4am watching British Infomercials.
Things we did in London and Area:
- Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour - loved having a human as a guide, they told funny stories, and we both enjoyed being able to drive by all the major sites
- Florence Nightingale Museum - She's a famous Nurse, so that was cool
- Saw a Play (39 Steps; freaking hilarious) and Stomp (equally as entertaining)
- Watched the Changing of the Guard
- Went to the City of Bath (a city built around old Roman Hot Springs), Stonehenge, and Windsor Castle
- Spent about an hour at the hospital after Matthias had a mysterious allergic reaction at midnight and broke out in hives (umm... like no pharmacies are open in London at Midnight, so instead of going and picking up some Benadryl we had to wait in Emergency until a Nurse could assess him and administer it. Lesson learned.)
- Lots of Walking
Photo Bomb Ahead
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Changing of the Guard[/caption]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Guard at the City of Bath[/caption]
Overall, we both really liked London! We were there for 5 days. It was busy with lots of hustle and bustle but it had a posh ( ;) ) atmosphere. We both liked that it was a clean city, and it was pretty easy to get around by Subway and Foot. We did a Contiki Tour (The London Explorer Package) and we both agreed that it was worthwhile, our only wish was that we would have had a Queen size bed and maybe a Mini Fridge.
We flew out from London headed to Rome. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6:30pm but ended up departing almost 2 hours late.. More on that next time :)
P.S. Missed you!