healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

A New Era

Last evening was my last shift in my Temporary Line at the Hospital.

Since graduating nursing school I have had 2 jobs. One, working at the jail in my city. I am employed casual there, so I don't work too often. The other, a full time evening line at the hospital. Working evenings took about 4 months to get used to, but once we (Matthias and I) did, it really fit our lifestyle. He was working in town, days, I was working evenings. There was less time that the dogs were home alone. We only saw each other on mutual days off, but when we did we actually made quality time for each other and spent it doing things we enjoyed. Working straight evenings was a tad bit hard on my social life, but I am a firm believer that the friends who are willing to make time for you are the friends you should make time for yourself. I never found the evenings to be too tiring because I am a decent sleeper and would generally wake up around 9ish in the morning and be ready to go.

Things that were the hardest to get used to:

  • Having to cook supper for that night in the morning
  • Not being able to meal plan as concretely
  • Shifting my eating schedule forward to accommodate the extra hours awake

Once I was able to get that under control working evenings worked for me.

That being said, I needed to find a job with long lasting stability. One that wasn't just temporary, one that was my own.

So, about a month ago, I was offered a position at the Psychiatric Hospital in a city about 35 minutes away from where I live.

It is a 3/4 time position (14 shifts per 4 weeks rather that 19, which is considered full time). My longest stretch before was 6 in a row. Now, it is 3. I work an even split of 7 days and 7 evenings a month.

I start on Monday. I am actually pretty nervous about it. I was "comfortable" in my old position. I enjoyed doing the charge nurse thing. I enjoyed the people that I worked with and the things that I did at work. I didn't leave because I disliked the job. I left because I needed longevity.

Matthias said I sound like a school girl because the thing I am most worried about is meeting new friends. The whole "What if they don't like me?" thing.

This new job does give me the flexibility to pick up casual shifts at the hospital and at the remand center. I plan on doing that because I need to make as much $$$ as I can until we leave on our honeymoon in 52 days!