healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

POP.

I was really struggling with a cold for about a week and half before Christmas. I had this dry cough, that nothing would touch. It was awful. It side lined all of my activity for a week, from running to cross fit, and I lost my voice on 3 separate occasions.

The congestion finally dissipated, but the cough remained. To be polite, I would cough in to my right elbow, twisting each time, up to 10 times in a row during a coughing spell.

On Wednesday last week I noticed a pain in my right side, kind of like a tight muscle or knot in my ribs. It hurt only when I coughed. I didn't think too much of it, but I noticed the increasing discomfort when I would twist, lay on my right side, and lift with my right hand.

Because this pain was new, I called health link, worried it might be something with my gallbladder. They advised me to go to the hospital, so I did. Well, one round of blood work, a chest xray, and an ultrasound later and ... nothing. Nadda. According to the tests I am healthy. So the doctor suggested it could be some kind of inflammation in my lungs/ribs, and it can go as quickly as it came.

Saturday it felt a BIT better so I went and did a 5km run outside. It didn't hurt during, but the cough came back with a vengence after, and with that, the pain.

Sunday, I was eating my morning oatmeal, reading blogs on my phone when I coughed.

Pop.
Instant pain in my right side.

Difficulty taking a full breath.

Panic.

I went in to my room, immediately woke Matthias up, and told him what happened. I laid on the bed, in what can only be described as agony, writhing back and forth, trying to suppress my cough and breath normally.

Ouch.

I googled what it could be, and thanks to this website, I think I know what I did. I am 99% sure I pulled an intercostal muscle. I think I strained it before, and the pop was me pulling it.

I took a Naproxen, sat on my cough, and cried.

I cried about the things I felt like I couldn't do. Control my eating. Go to Crossfit. Run. Move. Practice Yoga. Get off the chair. Lift the bowl of oatmeal to the Microwave with my Right Hand.

Woe. Is. Me.

I have plans for 2013. Big Plans. Running races and doing Crossfit and getting stronger. I can't do ANY of that with this. Right now, I am thinking most about my Marathon. In exactly 6 days, I am supposed to begin my 18 week training plan. Right now, I don't know if that is going to be possible.


New Years was spent on my couch. I just feel no motivation to do anything. 

With the new year, I am going to try to focus on the things I can control. Like the food I am eating. Food needs to become Fuel again. Especially if I am going to run a marathon.

Right now I am still pretty negative about the whole situation. So that's that.

Happy new year friends. May your days be pain free and positive.