healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Conflicted

So. Close. To. Christmas.

I hate to sound like the Ebenezer Scrooge, but is anyone else wanting this season to be over? I am so ready just to get back to normal life. Bah Humbug.

Yesterday, I watched a pretty sweet documentary. It was called Vegucated. About 3 people who go from eating the standard American Diet to Vegan for 6 weeks. I really liked the movie. It highlighted on the discrepancies of companies who claim to be Organic, Free-Range, ext.. and how they are lacking standards with the care of their animals. It got me thinking about animal abuse, animal rights, and all those tree-hugger issues that I am so on the fence about. I love animals, Obvi, I have 5 pets of my own. 6 Counting Matthias. Haha.

When I became a Vegetarian over 2 years (!! Woah) ago, well, no one thought it would stick, and it totally has. I didn't make the decision at that time based on the rights of animals. It was based on health and weight loss. Since that time I have spent lots of time researching plant based, whole food diets, the health benefits of being a vegetarian and a vegan and so on. I spent almost 3 months as a almost-vegan during the summer of 2011 after watching Forks Over Knives. I felt pretty darn good. There were some flaws in my eating (excessive restricting, structured eating times, so it basically ran my life), but eating the types of foods I ate made me feel light, whole, and energized.

At this point in my life, I continue to eat Eggs, Cheese (in moderation), Yogurt, and Half and Half (sometimes in lieu of Soy), and Milk Chocolate (although I most definitely prefer dark). I own a stick of butter, but I use it only for baking, which I try to pawn off on co-workers. I like laughing cow cheese, but really, that is so so processed that I don't even know if you can call it cheese.

I know that I can never be a strict Vegan. That is too extreme and to me, life isn't about being extreme. But I feel like I could be doing more, like I could be doing "Better". Maybe it is because I publicly announced that I wanted to transition to a Vegan Diet as a part of my Transitional Year and that year is nearly up? Who knows.

What are your thoughts on being a Vegetarian, Vegan, and everything in between?