1. The act or process of accepting.
2. The state of being accepted or acceptable.
3. Favorable reception; approval.
4. Belief in something; agreement.
So, Acceptance. I think it is something we all strive for. I have been blogging and focusing on my weight for almost 3 years now. That is over 1000 days. You'd think I had found Acceptance of myself by now, right? Think again.
I wish I could say that I have found it. At times, specifically when I was at my lowest weight, I thought I had. But the excessive calorie counting and mathematics of it tired me out, and I ended up gaining back some weight. Well with weight comes increased anxiety and decreased self esteem.
Throughout 2012 I focused on transitioning away from calorie counting. I feel like I have finally accomplished that, and feel okay with it, so now I want to focus on accepting myself and the body that goes along with it.
Let me clarify. I am by no means overweight or unhealthy. Quite the contrary. I am stronger and faster than ever. I am active, I eat well, mostly whole foods. I am just not there mentally.
How will I work on acceptance?
- Monthly updates and reflection on how I am feeling about myself.
- Focusing on who I am and what make me, Me.
- Only weighing or measuring myself if I can assure it will not cause me anxiety or disappointment.
- Focusing on the great things my body does, such as getting me through my marathon training.
- Dressing in clothes that make me feel good and proud of my curves, while not looking at the number that is associated with the size.
What is your 2013 word? How have you found acceptance of your body?
Wishing you a safe and happy New Year!