So anyways, when I bake, I like to share the product with everyone, ie. I take it to work, make Matthias take it to work, or make something for a special event. But sometimes... the results are so delicious that I don't want to share. This happens with most of my scone recipes, they end up in the freezer so that
Well. Let me just say, these muffins are one of those un-shareable recipes. You have been warned. Now please, go make these!
Vegan Streusel Carrot Cake Muffins
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows
Yield: 10 Muffins
Muffin - Dry
- 1 & 3/4 cup flour (I used Dark Rye)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking sod
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauc
- 1/2 cup almond milk mixed with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1.5 cups grated carrots (about 3 small-medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in water and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped & toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nuts/granola (I used this)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 3 tbsp cold butter
1. Toast the almonds and coconut (optional) on a baking sheet for about 6 minutes at 300F. Remove and set aside. Preheat oven to 400F and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (maple syrup, applesauce, almond milk/apple cider vinegar, water, almond extract). Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated
3. Fold in the carrots, raisins, almonds, and coconut. Scoop batter into the muffin liners, filling batter to the top.
4. In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients of streusel, add in margerine or butter and combine until it resembles a course corn-meal type mixture. Evenly distribute over the muffins and press in to batter slightly.
5. Bake for about 16 minutes at 400F until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
6. Run a toothpick around the muffins to help get them out of the tin.