healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Love Affair with the 'Bucks; Thankful Thursday

This week, I am thankful for COFFEE.

Okay, okay. It's more of a love affair of specialty coffees. But a die hard love affair it is. I worked at Starbucks for 4 years. And you know what? I'd probably still be doing it if I wasn't a nurse. I really loved it. Sure it was mindless at times. But I loved talking with the customers and making them delicious beverages. I was the self proclaimed "Best Barista in Red Deer". I could make a caramel macchiato in my sleep. I had an uncanny ability to remember all the regular's orders. It's a gift. NBD.

I didn't even like Starbucks at first. You know what's funny? I got my licence in Grade 10 and thought it would be cool of me to come to school in the morning with a coffee. That was around Christmas time. I went in and immediately felt overwhelmed by the list of coffees. I never even drank coffee before that. What would I like? Peppermint Mocha sounded good. I hated it. H.A.T.E.D it. I drank it anyways. I went back the next day and ordered it again because I didn't know what else I wanted to try. I still didn't like it. I think I drank it for close to 2 weeks before I started even liking it.

It has been my favorite drink since then. Nothing compares to the sweet peppermint chocolate taste and the smooth whipped cream and chocolate curls atop it.

My orders have changed in the years since I have been drinking coffee. They are a lot more precise now. Specific. I like different drinks at different places. You see, I am not solely a Starbucks fan anymore - oh no - I have expanded to loving all specialty coffee places, another favorite being City Roast here in Red Deer.

Here is the base of my orders: (the other stuff changes depending on my location and the mood I am in)
  • I prefer soy milk
  • I like 1/2 coffee instead of espresso (as it uses less make = calories)
  • No whipped cream (once in a blue moon I get light whip as a treat, but that is probably only like 3 times a year)
  • 1/2 sweet (if this isn't sweet enough for me I add stevia, when at Starbucks I order my drinks with 1 pump (2 for a venti) or syrup as that is sweet enough for me)
Okay want to hear some of my crazy/favorite orders:
  • Favorite Hot Drink at Starbucks: Grande Soy Pike Place Coffee Misto with 1 pump mocha (or cinnamon dolce, or caramel drizzle)
  • Favorite Iced Drink: Venti Iced Coffee, No Classic, No Milk, with 2 pumps Sugar Free Hazelnut (and then I add some half and half)
  • Close second: Grande Iced Soy Latte with 1 pump Mocha
  • Favorite Tea Drink: Venti Iced Green (or passion) Tea with No Classic (I find with this one people always assume you want lemonade so I always say No Lemonade as well)
  • Favorite Drink from City Roast: Medium 1/2 Coffee Peanut Butter Mocha, 1/2 Sweet, Soy Milk, No Whip
  •  Close second: Medium 1/2 Coffee Downtowner with Soy milk, 1/2 sweet, No Whip
Yeah. I know. And I watch em' like a hawk when they make it because so many people screw it up.

I'm "one of those" customers now.

Here is a fun chart with some interesting ideas for drinks at Starbucks:

Try some of them out and let me know if you like them!

Whats your favorite Coffee House drink?