healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Respect Your Body

8. Respect Your Body Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect to realistically squeeze into a size six, it is equally as futile (and uncomfortable) to have the same expectation with body size. But mostly, respect your body, so you can feel better about who you are. It's hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical about your body shape. (source)
Even when I was overweight, I always felt like I should be a thin person. I never ever felt my weight until I started trying to lose it. Has anyone else experienced this before?

When I started on my weight loss journey I needed to find love for myself. This included but was not limited to love for my body. I was very, very self conscious about my breasts (as written in this post). This is something that stems from a false rumor spread about me in 8th grade. I am still pretty sensitive about it, and I don't like to discuss it in detail. I have had trouble being in front of men without a shirt on. This is something that I am working on still.

I am now in a place where I respect my body (for the most part). I appreciate my face, my hair, my stomach and behind, my back and spine, my thighs, my cellulite, my stretch marks on my arms. They are a part of who I am, where I have been, and they will take me through the rest of my life. The way I look, the parts that make me up, do not make me any better or any less of a person. They are a piece of the 'Amie-Puzzle'. They are unique to me, and I am thankful for that.

"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

I like to take that quote a little farther - You only have one body. You can do things to change it, dye your hair, gain weight, lose weight, get a tattoo, have plastic surgery, wear colored contact lens', you get the idea. I don't judge any one else based on their decisions on what they do to their body. Their body is unique to them, just as their experience of living in their body is unique. I think the important thing when making decisions on what we do to our body is that those decisions should be based on respect of ourselves.