healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Exercise -- Feel the Difference

9. Exercise--Feel the Difference Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie burning effect of exercise. If you focus on how you feel from working out, such as energized, it can make the difference between rolling out of bed for a brisk morning walk or hitting the snooze alarm. If when you wake up, your only goal is to lose weight, it's usually not a motivating factor in that moment of time. (source)
The one principle I feel I have mastered! I absolutely love exercise.

My love of movin' my bod' didn't start out as love. When I started losing weight of course I knew I needed to exercise. The most I had ever done in the past was dance as a teenager and this was not enough to keep me thin. I loved dance, but knew this wasn't the only type of exercise I could do to lose weight. I wasn't active in gym - I only took it because my gym teacher was cute. I didn't know anything about running, weight lifting, what I needed to do to start an exercise routine.

I have said it before - for me I needed to master the eating part before I could even think of the exercise part. It wasn't until about 7 months in that I started an exercise routine. It started out simple. I tried to do the 30 Day Shred or do 30 minutes on my Dad's elliptical 4 times a week. I had already been paying for a Gym membership since September when they had a sale on joining, but I hadn't used the membership once. I came up with excuses - it was out of the way, I didn't have my gym clothes, I didn't have enough time -- you get the idea.

Once I signed up for my first 10km run I knew things had to change. Excuses wouldn't get me across the finish line. Hard work would. It was still winter when I started running (February!) so I thought what better way to put to use my gym membership. I was already paying for it. I followed my Hal Higdon training plan on the treadmill and as the days got nicer I brought my running outside. I expanded my exercise and tried some classes at my gym. It was instant love. Working out with a group full of other women is truly motivating. It was invigorating to see other women of all shapes and ages trying to get healthy. I really believe that every little effort pays off. Once I started taking classes and running full time I knew I wanted to expand my horizons.

I will do anything that moves me, anything that I think is fun. These things include: Running, Exercise Classes, Spin (!!!), Walking, Hot Yoga, Hiking, and once in a while some work out DVD's (Jillian FTW). If you are just starting out with an exercise program start small - figure out what you love, what you hate, and what you'd like to try and then go for it! You will get stronger/faster/fitter.