healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Discover the Satisfaction Factor

6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor The Japanese have the wisdom to promote pleasure as one of their goals of healthy living. In our fury to be thin and healthy, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence--the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in the eating experience. When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting and conducive, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes much less food to decide you've had "enough". (source)
I feel as though I have really come to a place where I can feel satisfied with my food choices and balance myself out at the end of each day without scrutinizing what I have eaten.

I try to sit down for all of my meals (whether it be by myself or with family) with minimal distraction. I turn off the TV, put down my magazine or book, and close the lap top so that I can give my full undivided attention to my food. I find that the extra bit of focus really helps to ensure that I am getting everything out of each meal that I can.

This was hard over the last week when I couldn't eat "real food". I could eat variations of food such as blended up beans, and pureed soups, but it wasn't the same because I was missing out on the textural aspect of enjoying food.

To me, food is really about all 5 senses. You need to see a visually appealing meal, smell the scent of decadent food, hear the food as its being prepared (whether it be stirring in a pan, plating something out of the oven ext...) and as you are eating it (chewing with your mouth closed of course! But there is definitely something inviting about the crunch of taking a bite out of an apple as opposed to eating a carton of apple sauce), feel the texture of the food in your mouth as you chew it and taste the combinations of different bites. Every meal should be an experience of these things.

I encourage you all to give it a try! Next time you sit down for a meal make note of your senses and how they are reacting to the food. Happy eating!