healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday - Night Shift Edition



Tonight I work a night shift! I actually enjoy the night shift on postpartum. Some nights are so crazy busy you don't stop running, other nights are chill and you get to snuggle with babies who don't want to sleep all night. It is a nice balance. Tonight, I am hoping for a chill night so that I can get back in the swing of things since I haven't worked since Christmas ;) I have 3 shifts total - 2 nights, 1 evening - before my nursing permit comes into effect! They will be a nice re-orientation to the unit because things are always changing up there!

I thought it would be a good idea to post how I change my eating habits to "Night Mode". I try eat a large breakfast to keep me full-er for more of the day, and then I eat a small lunch and supper, with a snack thrown in there. I also try to sleep between the ours of 4pm and 8pm, just to try and give me that extra bit of energy. Even if I don't sleep (which is often - I am a horrible napper), I still relax at this time, ear plugs in, blinds closed, to try and conserve as much energy as possible. After I "wake up" I am usually starving, so I dip into my packed lunch for a pre-shift snack. I also pick up a Coffee on my way in (Either McDonald's or Tim's with 1/2 Cream and Stevia). Here is a look at my Night Shift Food:
  • Giant Bag of Veggies (sometimes this is a salad with Balsamic Vinegar and Oil instead)
  • Apple Chips
  • Homemade Granola Bar (Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats - I added 1 cup Puffed Rice Cereal instead of Sesame Seeds and reduced the honey to 1/4 cup)
  • Unsweetened Apple Sauce
  • Plum
I try to stay away from unit snacks because it is usually popcorn, chips, or chocolate, but I almost always end up trying a little bite of each. I also try to "save" a snack for after the night shift, because if I don't eat before I go to sleep I will wake up in 3 hours famished and unable to get back to sleep. If I didn't save a snack then I usually make myself a piece of toast with peanut butter and cocoa nibs. The morning after a shift (which is 11pm-7am) I usually sleep as long as I can (if on another night shift this can be 1-2pm, and then another nap at 6pm), or get up at 12 if I am switching back to days. It's not too hard on me (yet) but I definitely feel like I have a hangover haha. If I am staying on nights I usually try to go to the gym before going to bed, and if I am not then I most often take a rest day because I feel so out of it. The rest of the post-shift eats are pretty straight forward - lunch (which is usually breakfast ;)) and supper, and sometimes a late night snack.

Wish me luck on my nap today! I have been up since 7am and don't want to be up for a full 24hr without sleep!