healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Thankful Thursday

In an effort to be a better blog host despite a busy school schedule, I am instituting a new weekly posting series called Thankful Thursday! I try to be a glass half full thinker. I am always trying to look at the bright side of things and pick out the good in the world. Obviously I am not immune to negative talk, including negative self talk, but I am trying to get away from this. Every Thursday I will write about one thing I am thankful for! Who says you only should give thanks on Thanksgiving anyways? :) So without further adieu, here is my first Thankful Thursday, One Day Late!
I have spent a lot of this winter worrying. And I think that I shed a lot of this worry on the blog. It was my first winter of "goal weight" and I was so so so scared that I was going to fall out of healthy habits, gain weight, and return to the size and way I was before.

This fear was legitimate. At the same time, this fear was irrational. I started running in February of 2011, over a year ago now. That is when I really focused on changing my life. Everything leading up to that month was important (becoming a vegetarian, giving up fast food, ext...), but I really believe exercise was the last mountain for me to climb to build a healthy and long lasting lifestyle. It was the missing link to a sustainable future.

During the summer, I was active. Like a lot. Even with sciatica, I was walking 2 hours a day, exercising 5-6 times a week (1-1.5hr each time), and eating healthy. At the time, I was surprised I kept losing weight. But reflecting now, I am not. I was easily surpassing my caloric intake with my exercise calories. So yeah, getting to 121ish was maintainable and achievable. I probably most likely wasn't eating enough. I probably definitely wasn't strength training enough. I assume know that I lost muscle mass. Yeah, I got down to a size 2. Cool beans. I was tiny.

Then life hit (read: school, and cold weather). My walks became shorter, my eating changed, and my focus shifted from maintaining my weight, to living a healthy, balanced life. I started strength training more, and incorporating other types of fitness (like swimming and biking and weight lifting) into my routine. I indulged in more sweets. I cooked with life and with exuberance. I ate well. I moved my body as much as possible. I lived am living.

In short. Yes. I gained weight. Not all of it has been muscle either. But. That's. Oh. Kay. I am still muchos healthier than a lot of the people I know. I still work out 5-6 times a week. I have let myself let go of the numbers associated with being skinny, and have embraced health and embraced life. I haven't weighed myself in 2+ weeks, but I know that I haven't changed much. I weight between 128-130. I am a size 4. I am healthy. I am happy.


How does this translate into being thankful? I am thankful for my healthy habits, that have remained and persevered even when I was scared, obsessed, and stressed.