healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thankful Thursday [4]

I had a WIAW post all lined up. I was putting on the finishing touches of my pictures and my computer shut down :( I had just come off of an evening shift and was waaaayyy too tired to start over. My appologies friends, but WIAW will resume next week.

As I count down my shifts left of my preceptorship, I realize how ready I feel to enter the nursing profession and how grateful I am that I sought a university education straight out of high school. Nursing has taught me so much, and it is applicable to all aspects of my life.

Life Lessons from Nursing Education:
  1. Organization is key. I am one of those cray cray people who lives by their agenda. Nursing is so busy. Throw onto that a full exercise schedule, multiple support courses, and being the president of the nursing society. I didn't plan a single event unless I could consult my agenda first. I truly believe that a healthy life is an organized life.
  2. It's okay to cry. I am usually busting with emotion in the form of tears. I have cried over marks, comments from teachers and peers, situations with patients, nursing society, you get the idea ;) I have learned that it is totally okay for me to acknowledge the emotions that accompany stress. Everyone works through them differently. Me? I like a bawl-fest.
  3. Don't take what others say about you to heart. This was a hard one for me. Nursing has really reinforced that I need to keep other peoples perceptions of me in perspective. I can't make everyone like me. I can't help what other people say or do. I can always chose to react in a professional and kind way.
  4. Take care of yourself. Mentally. Physically. Spiritually. There were times when I didn't have time to sit down and watch a full hour long TV show because I had so much homework. I took the time that I could, and maximized it as much as possible to help maintain my sanity.
  5. You can do more than you thought you could. Nursing really pushed my comfort zones, and I have come to believe that that is what life is about. It's about making those memories, feeling uncomfortable, and learning.