healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Make Peace With Food

3. Make Peace with Food Call a truce, stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat. If you tell yourself that you can't or shouldn't have a particular food, it can lead to intense feelings of deprivation that build into uncontrollable cravings and, often, binging. When you finally “give-in” to your forbidden food, eating will be experienced with such intensity, it usually results in Last Supper overeating, and overwhelming guilt.
I will probably struggle with this my entire life. I love food so much. I love the act of eating. My favorites are cookies, chocolate, chips, and, if I allowed myself, fast food. That food is engineered to taste delicious, and that is why I am addicted to it. I also believe addiction has a genetic component to it, and with 2 generations having addiction in my family I know that I have an addictive personality. When I was at my lowest weight, I was restricting my intake (although not to a point of unhealthy, it was still very restricted). I would often go to bed hungry and spend time every day wishing I could eat but not allowing myself. Now, I do eat what I want. I will munch on a handful of nuts, on a handful of candy, on spoons of peanut butter, and fresh baked cookies.

The key is portion control. I don't do this every day (or at least I try not to). The only food that is "off-limits" for me is meat, and that is because of health reasons. I may eat meat one day, who knows. Specifically, McDonald's is off limits and will be forever. This is something I have accepted and I am at peace with this.

I do enjoy the food I eat. I love creating healthy meals, attempting healthy baking, and bringing happiness with the treats I create. I don't however allow myself to eat everything I want because I would quickly gain back all the weight I have lost and then some. I do eat all the types of food I want, but I do ensure healthy portion sizes.

Everything in moderation!