healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Honor Your Hunger

2. Honor Your Hunger Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy and carbohydrates. Otherwise you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. Once you reach the moment of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderate, conscious eating are fleeting and irrelevant. Learning to honor this first biological signal sets the stage for re-building trust with yourself and food.
This has always been a challenge for me as I am a grazer. I could eat all day long, munching away happily at whatever is in front of my face - whether it be veggies, chocolate, peanut butter, or bananas (clearly I would prefer it to be the last 3!). When I was losing weight, I got used to the almost always constant state of mild hunger. You just get used to it. You ignore it. You focus on goal. There would be times when I knew *knew* I had to eat, and others that I would dismiss, and reassure myself that the eating would come at the scheduled time. I lived by an eating schedule. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Dessert. It worked for me.

Now, trying to honor my hunger means something entirely different. Depending on the day, I try to honor my hunger with whole, healthy foods. Key words: Depending on the Day. I still love *love* chocolate, cookies, oodles of peanut butter, chips, cake, pie, granola bars, ice cream, anything sweet. It is a constant mental game to remind myself that those foods are altered to make me love them. They have additives and preservatives that make me want *want* to eat them by the barrel full.

How am I working on Honoring my Hunger? Well this isn't really set in stone yet. I eat breakfast first thing in the morning when I get up even if I am not completely hungry. I truly believe this jumpstarts your metabolism for the day, and frankly, with my schedule I don't have time to just eat whenever I please. When working a shift you have to focus on your patients and there are times when you only get to sit for 5 min to scarf something down. That's just how it is.

I eat when I am hungry. That is a given. But I also eat when I am not hungry. That is where the work ahead lies.

Starting my FINAL Preceptorship tomorrow. Please wish me luck and think positive thoughts for me.