healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Supplements

I find that when I am at my highest level of motivation (which comes and goes!) I am most prudent with my supplements. Here is a list of what I take and what I hope it does for me.
  • Multivitamin - to top off any missing vitamins not found in the everyday diet
  • Vitamin B12 - needed as I am a vegetarian, needed for regeneration of RBC's, manufacturing DNA and RNA, boosting immune system and lowering homocysteine levels
  • Calcium - maintenance of bone health, neurotransmition, and blood clotting, essential for dental health, and muscle contraction
  • Vitamin D - lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises HDL (good cholesterol), reduces inflammation, helps with muscle maintenance and ensures absorption of all calcium. I strongly believe everyone (but especially seniors) should be on 1000 IU/day.
  • Glucosamine - helps to rebuild cartilage, reduce inflammation, and reduce joint pain.
  • Omega 3 - lowers cholesterol and risk of heart disease, reduces inflammation, reduces risk of Alzheimer's Dementia and Depression, helps to reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer as well as constipation
  • Iron - to treat iron deficiency anemia, which increases the amount of hemoglobin available to red blood cells, leading to increased oxygenation of the body
What supplements do you take?