healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sciatica Update

I thought it would be a good idea to update everyone on how my sciatica has been over the past few months.

Quick overview for new readers: I first developed sciatica in March of 2011, but dismissed it as TOM cramping as I used to have severe back pain whenever it was TOM. The sciatica went on for about 3 weeks and then healed shortly after I started running. I had another flare up in June at the Biennial CFNU conference in Winnipeg, which was extremely debilitating in that I was in so much pain I was nauseous every morning from the stiffness. Once I got moving I was okay but I definitely did way too much sitting and the conference chairs where horrid.

After coming home I was sitting in my dad's massage chair and I couldn't raise the legs to 90 degrees to get a proper massage, I started crying from the pain and my dad said enough was enough and he would pay for me to go to the chiropractor. I started seeing the chiropractor (no longer reluctantly at this time because I was in so so so much pain that my quality of life was decreasing rapidly) and quickly began improving. The chiropractor told me that my hips were not aligned and this is what had led to the pinched nerve. He also said that it was probably from years of dancing as an overweight teenager and that although it was unfortunate that I was injured at such a young age, it was also reversible and better to find now as to not result in a degenerative arthritis in later decades.

There were times when I was unsure if I would be able to drive the 10 mins to my mom's house without having to stop. There were times I had to muster all of the energy I had to move my legs out of the bed to sit up in a fluid motion as to not aggravate the pain. There were times I questioned how I would live the rest of my life like this.

I am now seeing the chiropractor once every 2 1/2 weeks. I would say that my sciatica is about 97-98% healed, in that I only get twinges of back pain if I cross my legs for too long or am sitting in the wrong positon.

What I am trying to get across with this post is .... People, please do not take your back for granted.

I am grateful every day for the ability to sit with my legs straight out in front of me, for me to be able to drive my car long distances and not have to shift my weight every minute, for my ability to get up and walk without having to shuffle along like an old person until the stiffness dissipates.

I am not saying that I will never have a flare up again, in fact I am sure that I will. In the mean time I work on strengthening my back and core, as well as maintaining my activity level and proper posture.

Back health is not something to joke about ... you only have one, and it has to carry you through your whole life.