healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Busy Days

My apologies for the lack of postage recently. I am in my second last clinical (!!!) and have been busy managing school work, exercise, and a personal life.

Last year when I started running I made a consistent effort to add exercise in to my life. I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to form a habit, and for 6 weeks I woke up for clinical at 5:30am, had a full 8hr day, and then went to the gym for 30-90min from Monday to Friday. It was exhausting. At this time, I was also managing a dog, and being the president of the nursing society. I did not have any extra time for dating, and I spent a lot of time reflecting on what it was I wanted out of life.

I fell in love with physical activity.

Nowadays, I workout 6 days a week, and it isn't hard to do. Yes. I am a full time student. With 2 dogs. A job. And Yes. I schedule time to work out. I have made it a part of my day and I consider it to be "me" time.

Here are a few tips on how to start out with a conscious effort to exercise:
  1. Plan your days; I plan my workouts by the month. I get my gym's class schedule, pick out the fun sounding ones, that fit my school schedule, and write them in my day planner in red pen. Sometimes I write down more than one, just so that I can be flexible.
  2. Try new things; My new love = spin class. You don't have to love everything you try, but get out there are try it! You will never know if you don't apply yourself.
  3. Set fitness goals; Eventually I would like to do an unassisted pull up. I am mustering up the courage to "officially" announce this as a goal so that I will make sure I reach it. Other goals could be a 5km, 10km, or half marathon run, a push up challenge, ext... Make sure these are FITNESS related, not weight related.
  4. Just move; Seriously, even walking a bit more each day is beneficial to your help. Do what you love and love what you do.
  5. Start small; That way you won't be overwhelmed.
  6. Have a backup; My back up is my elliptical, or my Jillian Michaels DVD's. By having a back up I am able to always be accountable to staying fit.
Hope you have a great long weekend. If the weather is nice wherever you are, get out and enjoy it! If the weather is chilly wherever you are, do something active inside!