healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Very Long Run

Good Morning Friends,

I am doing better. I pulled my eating habits in yesterday, and already today I feel more refreshed and energized. I had a good cry about my kitty, and will be going to the pound after this post to check out if he was maybe captured by the Po-Po and brought in to the Big House. I went to the gym yesterday with Matthias (the ex), and he taught me some back and core strengthening exercises, which will be very helpful in preventing future sciatic flare ups. I have a core routine and 2 back routines to alternate with, so I feel ready to get strong.

Today I woke up bright and early at 6am for my long run. I debated whether or not I wanted to go before the Chiropractor appointment ... at 6:40am, or go after the Chiropractor at 9am. Before won because I would rather be adjusted after working out then work out after the adjustment.

This was a huge NSV for me because I never get out of bed early for an exercise. But I knew it would work well with my schedule, and by getting it out of the way early I will be able to have a nap later because I am working 2 night shifts.

Today I am going to attempt to make sushi. I will do a post on how it went... lol I am hoping for success because I love me some Sushi.

I want to do a quick blurb on my Vegetarian Diet and my recent decision to reduce my dairy intake. I think education is super important when making dietary choices, as well as personal taste preference.

I love me some vegetables. In fact, I don't think there is a single vegetable I don't like or wont eat. The variety is amazing, as well as how much my palate has expanded since making the conversion to the Veg-Side. I love it. I love everything about it. I don't miss meat at all.

With Sciatica comes a lot of inflammation to your nerves, causing the extreme pain. My last flare up was in June, a time when I was consuming quite a lot of dairy products and eggs. When I came back from my Nursing Conference, and after watching Forks Over Knives, I made the decision to reduce (not completely cut out, because I enjoy cheese and yogurt) the amount of dairy that I was taking in, to see if it would make a difference. I lost 8lb in 2 weeks by doing this and I believe it is due to the amount of water retention and bloating that comes with dairy. Since then I have gone through spurts where I do eat a lot of dairy, and then times when I try to reduce it again.

It is a balancing act for me. Have I noticed a huge difference? No, but I do feel like I am doing good for my body. Do I think everyone should do it? Again, No, because it is personal preference, but I think it might be something to consider if you suffer from a lot of inflammation. It never hurts to try it out, and it can always be re-introduced into your diet again.

Right now, I love Vanilla Light Silk, way way way more than Cow's Milk, so I plan on sticking with that. I made some Cashew Cheese, and it is Okay for now, but I know I will continue to eat cheese in the future. I don't have any greek yogurt in the house right now (cause I ate it all haha), but I am sure I will pick some up when I go to the grocery store. I have Soy Ice Cream in the Freezer, which I like, but I also have Mini Frozen Yogurt Cones. I don't buy eggs for myself anymore, but I will eat them in a dish if they are included.

It is all about moderation and doing what feels right.

Have a happy week. I will be busy working, going to see Taylor Swift (!!!) in Concert, and then Heading to Grande Prairie for a weekend of fun! BRIDAL SHOWER & STAGETTE!

:) Be healthy,