healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sweet Summertime!

I want to apologize to all my lovely readers for not being more present during these last 2 months. I have had full meaning to be but I am not going to lie, Life has gotten pretty sweet, and I am enjoying every second of it. I will try to give a recap right now of how my summer has been going and then I will absolutely work on getting out a post about reducing dairy products in my diet.

Rosie
My sweet new addition to the family! With Tucker only being around about 40% of the time I was feeling lonely. I felt like I was in a position to bring home a new dog, a partner in crime. I knew that I didn't want to bring home a BRAND new pup, because they take too much work, but I wanted to give a loving home to a pet. I searched Kijiji and stumbled upon this little gem. She is an 8 month old Border Collie/Rotti cross. She came to me fully house trained, with 6 weeks obedience training, spayed and micro-chipped. Her old family couldn't keep her as they were not able to offer her enough attention (2nd baby on the way, husband working out of town) and they did not have a back yard. She has adjusted so well. We have been to the dog park and she loved it. My dad adores her. She is wonderful!
Work
Loving the maternity unit. I have learned so much about pregnancy and caring for new mothers. It is a great experience and after talking with my manager I am happy to announce that I am able to stay on during the year and pick up extra shifts! I could definitely see myself working in Maternity once I am done school.

My Back/Hip/Sciatica
... has not completely healed. I am at a loss. I am going to the Chiropractor 2x a week, and although it is helping I don't know why I am still having pain. I wonder if there could be a correlation between a Sciatic Flare Up and Menstration as it got worse the day I got my period? Sorry if that was TMI, but any information/opinions on this would be greatly helpful. It is so disheartening to know that I was once a dancer who could do the splits and now I can't sit with my legs straight out in front of me without experiencing discomfort. I have slowly started adding a morning stretching routine to help loosen me up, but it is painful.

Running
... has been a no-go. This makes me very sad. I am unsure at this point if I will be ready or even healed enough to run my Half Marathon in September. I will consult with Matthias and see if maybe we could change our entry to a 10k instead, or just do a run/walk and start at the earlier time (0830 instead of 0930). Either of these would be okay with me... not as good as being able to run the entire thing, but I think getting my Sciatica under control is more important at this point. I can always train over the Winter and run the Woody's Half Marathon next spring.

Exercise
Despite having pain after I am sedentary for too long, I have kept up my activity. I am exercising 5-6 days a week. My exercise is all low impact stuff - elliptical, bike, stepper. I have done some weights, not much, and I have taken 2 classes which were Ok (not as easy as before, but I attribute that to being careful because of my back). I feel better on the days I exercise. I have also been doing lots of walking, which I think has helped. I miss the intensity that I once had, but I know that when I am feeling better I will be able to up the ante a little bit and get back in to it.

Food(lover)
Over the last month I have reduced the amount of eggs and dairy I am consuming. I feel good so far, nothing really changed. I use Soy creamer for my coffee, and Soy milk in my Starbucks (which I actually prefer over skim! Tastes better to me, haha). I still eat cheese, but I don't add it to EVERY meal like I was before. I still eat Eggs but they are no longer a staple lunch for me. The reason for this was to reduce the amount of Animal proteins I am taking in, as I don't believe these proteins are necessary in the human diet. More on this to come when I write a post on this topic!

Weight
122.5lb this morning. Happily maintaining between 120 and 125. So freaking scared to gain it back. Exercising the healthy habits that I have established over the last 17 months and feeling good about it.

Keep it healthy!