healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

What do I do Now?

So I stepped on the scale after working 2 night shifts, thinking I would stay the same, or perhaps see a small gain. I mean lets face it, yes I have been eating healthy, I have done well this week trying to cut out processed foods, and I feel good that I reduced my dairy intake. I didn't eat out, I enjoyed a coffee almost every day, and I felt like I ate more than I normal would (especially since working nights, I tend to eat more).

What number do I see when I step on the scale?

125.

Wait, What? 125? How is that even possible? I stepped on the scale last Monday and it said 127.5. How is it possible that I lost 2.5lb in 6 days?

Water weight perhaps? Retention from my Pizza and Beer from Last Wednesday now fully out of my system? Going through the "shock" effect from eating lots in Winnipeg to eating what I normally would at home? Time of the month being over?

I don't know.

I found it hard to believe. I let the scale turn off. I moved it around the bathroom floor. Each time, 125. That number is, in truth, a little bit scary. My exercise has been a lot less strenuous the past 2 weeks. Lots of elliptical, Lots of walking, Lots of LIGHT weights. Not anywhere near enough to burn off 2.5lb. Perhaps the water retention from strenuous exercise is now gone?

Maybe a combination of all of these factors?

Not sure.

So whats my plan?

To be honest, I am not actively trying to lose weight. I am trying to be healthy. Eat when I am hungry. Stop when I am full. Enjoy my food to the fullest. Eat the foods I like. Cut back on processed crap. Reduce dairy and egg consumption. Exercise 30 minutes moderate pace each day, and at least 30 minutes light exercise. Listen to my body. Let my back heal.

This is what I have been doing. This is what I will continue to do. If I lose more weight, then my body will eventually come to a halt, a happy place, a good number to maintain at.

I do track all of my food, but that is more for nutrition than actual numbers. I don't eat less than 1300 calories on any day, I am averaging about 1400-1600/day, which is sustaining.

I was asked to write a post on how I started Running, so watch for that sometime this week! I also just finished the book In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, so I am planning on doing a post regarding a plant based, whole foods diet, which is what I am striving to adopt, the whole foods part, I already have the plant based part down ;)

So that's, that. Ask yourself before every meal: How many processed chemicals are in this food? Can I pronounce all the ingredients on the label? If your answers aren't ideal, perhaps chose something else!

Happy, healthy, eating my friends,