healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Sciatica

This past week I found myself in Winnipeg, MB for the Canadian Federation of Nursing Union's National Biennium Conference. What an exciting opportunity! I was thrilled to have been asked to go - all expenses, except food, paid for, and jumped at the opportunity. 800+ Nurses gathered from across the country to talk about, what else, Union Issues. I have had little education on Union's thus far in my training so it was very eye opening and interesting to learn about the different struggles faced by nurses across the country. Some of the neat things I did while in Winnipeg: Visited the Forks, Went to the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Picketed with the Canada Post and Air Canada workers (THAT was interesting, haha), Went to a Banquet.... oh, and have the worst sciatic flare up of my life.

I knew the beds were uncomfortable after the first night. I woke up and could feel it coming on, but instead of listening to my body, which I adamantly encourage everyone to do, I went down to the hotel gym and used the row machine for 30 minutes. Mild discomfort the entire time, but "Oh Well! Gotta get the heart rate up because I know I will be eating more!" So I worked out, and then proceeded to follow this with an entire day of sitting in a work shop. Followed by more sitting and more sleeping in uncomfortable beds by Friday morning I was in so much pain in the morning that I felt faint and had to lay back down because I couldn't sit or stand.

So awesome.

I had a good sleep my first night home, woke up and thought it might be a good idea to attempt stretching. Wrong. So now it has been 1 week of fairly excruciating pain that has made me feel faint once and made me question my ability to drive my own car.

My dad told me today he would pay for a visit to the chiropractor for my birthday present, so today at 11am I am praying for some relief.

I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and maintained my weight at 128, which was a blessing considering the eating out I did last week. I tried to make healthy choices, but I know that I overindulged in sweets. It feels good to be home and eating healthy food again. I am okay with maintaining right now because all I can think about is my back. I need to feel better. I need to start running again - I haven't ran in over a week. Yes, I have been active every day with light weight stuff like stationary bike or elliptical or LOTS of walking, but I hate feeling like I am losing all of my independence.

Will update on how the Chiropractor went... and then hopefully I will be able to focus enough to write some meaningful posts.