healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Mental Game of Exercise

Let me start by saying Cafe Mosaics was DELISH. I had the Spicy BBQ Chik'n Burger and house salad for my meal, which was cooked just right - not too light, not too heavy, I finished the entire plate of food. For dessert - the Vegan Chocolate Cake. Heaven. So Yummy! It was fluffy, rich, and tasted homemade. There was a scoop of Chocolate Soy Ice Cream on the side and it was drizzled with Chocolate Sauce and had 2 raspberries. I wish I had taken a picture.

Andrew - being the picky eater that he is - had the Caesar Salad (snooze), which he said was decent, but missing bacon. What a guy. He loved the Chocolate Cake though. No surprise. He tried a bite of my Burger and said "It's not as bad as I imagined it would be, but real chicken is better." To each his own :) At least he tried it.

Went to my Mom's house after to spend some quality time with her and my sister for Mother's day. It was fun. We chatted and watched a movie. Overall Edmonton was a success.

This morning I woke up at my mom's house to rain clouds. Uh Oh. This is long run day and I just signed up for a half marathon, which means I need to do it. I toyed with the idea of putting it off till tomorrow. I toyed with the idea of only doing 3 miles instead of the 6.2 I needed to do. I contemplated running in the rain. I contemplated running on the treadmill. I contemplated just not doing it at all. It was a mental game. I knew what I had to do. But I did NOT want to do it.

I drove back from Edmonton, went to Save-On-Foods to buy a new water bottle and some fruit, and headed straight to the gym. It felt a little too chilly to run outside - yes, I am baby. Got to the gym and told myself "Just start out and see how far you get, if you can't do it all, at least you will do some of it."

70 minutes and 20 seconds later I finished my 10k on the treadmill.

BAM.

Why do I still play this game with myself? I always feel better after exercise. My body always thanks me for it. Yet I still hum and ha over the idea, like it is even something to consider.

Running is just something I do now. Just like taking my Multivitamin and Calcium in the morning. Just like my square of dark chocolate every day. I run and I exercise 6 days a week.

Maybe one day the mentality will be there 100%. I'd say eating wise I am currently sitting at about 90%, and exercise at about 80%, which is far better than I was 15 months ago. Maybe 100% is unachievable? That would be perfection, haha, and I am definitely not perfect. Maybe I should aim for 90%/90%?

Either way, by September, if I am not considered a "runner" yet, I damn well will be by my Half Marathon!