healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Identifying "True" Hunger

Identifying true hunger is something I still struggle heavily with. I think it may be due to the fact that I have been conditioning my body over the last year to just accept the hunger as part of a self-sacrifice to reach my goal weight. But now that I am here, how do I acknowledge it as being an important trigger of when I am actually hungry, and when I am actually bored or stressed or even just thirsty?

I am still on the weight loss train for right now, but it has taken more of a back burner position in my life. Right now I want to be happy, healthy and fit, so training for my 10k is what is most important to me health-wise.

I feel like I know my body, and I trust it to tell me when I am hungry, but what happens when I need to conform my eating schedule to that of a clinical shift (whether it be days with a 5am wake up, or evenings with a later than normal supper)? How can I rationalize with myself that eating when I do not truly feel hungry is important to curb the hunger that might come when I am too busy to eat?

Right now I am focused on tracking my food, and not eating anything outside my allotted points because it is hard for me to be able to identify the feelings of hunger and satisfaction when there is so much else going on in my life.

This could be a very dangerous place for those who are not accustomed to tracking everything and I am thankful that I am too poor to eat out and must plan my meals the night before. I am also thankful that I was so diligent in my last 2 months with staying on plan as I think they have provided me with the ability to rationalize the importance of tracking and not just throwing in the towel and saying I am too busy.

It was the same last week. I felt way to busy, not hungry enough, and I was scared I would gain. I lost my last 2lb. Is this due to my 3 days of activity, water, and following my meal plans and GHG's? Probably.

I hope that I can at least maintain this week. With 6 days of exercise, lots of water, and tracking, I am fairly sure this can be accomplished, but I still worry about the number on the scale. I don't want to fail. I don't want to lose this new way of living. I am so happy with my lifestyle that I don't want to make a mistake and lose all the progress I have made.

On to other news... Starbucks introduced these delicious little treats this week and I plan on trying the following:


These delicious treats all work out to be 5p+ each, and I plan on making room for them in my meal plans so that I can try them each, just once.
Tiramisu Cake Pop, Rocky Road Cake Pop, and Peanut Butter Cupcake.
MMMMmmmmmmmmm.
I suppose I should post a little food review of each when I have tried them. I will keep you all updated. They have other flavors as well, but these are the ones that caught my eye. For full NI of all flavors check Starbucks.com

Any suggestions for recognizing your hunger? Do you think it is ok to eat when you are not fully hungry, but have the time to, to avoid a hunger pitfall and starvation when you might be too busy to eat?