healthy |ˈhelθē|adjective ( healthier , healthiest )in good health: : feeling fit and healthy.• (of a part of the body) not diseased : healthy cells.• indicative of, conducive to, or promoting good health : a healthy appetite | a healthy balanced diet.• (of a person's attitude) sensible and well balanced : a healthy contempt for authority.• figurative in a good condition• desirable; beneficial• A conscious choice; A life-long commitment.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Bad Weeks Happen to Good People...

...Committed People Move On.

This is what I am telling myself upon arrival home to the lovely Red Deer, Alberta. Hamilton was a whirlwind roller coaster ride, and boy am I so so so glad to be home. Happy to be home to my friends, my bed, my house, my pets, my school, and most important my eating habits. It never occurred to me how much I took my eating habits for granted before they were viciously (okay, not so viciously, more or less deliciously) ripped from my hands.

Some things I learned:
- I love fruit and vegetables and feel lost without their presence - especially bananas and blueberries in the morning and carrots with lunch. Wow.
- I don't need Starbucks to survive - Hamilton had no Starbucks (Shocker!) So I went almost an entire week sans latte... lets see how long I can continue! I still drank Tim Hortons 1/2 Coffee 1/2 Hot Chocolates, but hey, you can't have everything
- I really really miss working out - I need to put my health and exercise as a top priority, even if it ends up just being 30 minutes a day.
- I enjoy Points Plus! - I missed being able to track the food that I was eating

Where did all of these lovely lessons leave me? Well, they left me with a 3lb gain, putting me to 145.

Goals for this week:
- The ever obvious get back on track! - This includes tracking every lovely morsel of food that enters my dainty mouth.
- Eat slower - This is a big one for me. I like to eat it all up so fast and it makes it hard to assess how hungry/full I actually am, leading me to over eat and feel bloated and gross afterwords. I am going to try and start listening to my body more by slowing down and rating my hunger and fullness on a 10 point scale. I will aim to be about 7/10 fullness and eat my meals at about a 6-7/10 hunger level.
- Exercise! Woohoo! - I am excited for this one. My goal is to get in 4 days of activity excluding my Monday night dance class.
- Smile, Breathe, and Go Slowly - I love Zenhabits.net and their accompanying motto. This week I am going to take life one day at a time, try to get as organized as possible, and try to control my stress levels. I also want to take 20min a day for relaxation before bed, whether that be reading, or meditating, something without technology.

Weeks like this will happen. There will be times when I will slip up multiple days in a row. Life long journey. Now is the time to collect myself, and move forward.

What are some of the ways you assess your hunger and fullness levels? I find it very difficult to be aware of what my body is telling me and I find that I only really realize it when I am on both extreme ends of the spectrum, starvation or fully-bloated.